- Methods to remove tarnish from silver
- Cleaning Oxidized Silver Jewelry
- How to clean rhodium-plated silver
You love your treasures so much and want them to always shine. Then check out this list of jewelry care tips from our jewelers. We'll tell you how to clean your jewelry and make it shine like new.
How to take care of your jewelry
Wring's jewelers do the engraving in a modern technological way with a laser. With this technology, the message is burned into the surface of the ring, becoming slightly darker and therefore clearer. This inscription is easy to read. You can choose an inscription in block letters or calligraphic handwriting - the laser will do it accurately
- Keep your pieces of jewelry separate from each other.
- Use pouches, dividers and padded boxes, or keep each ring in a separate container. They can harm each other, scratch the surface of gold and silver, and the stones can develop imperceptible cracks and later chip.
- Take off your jewelry before washing, showering, gardening, washing dishes, or doing sports. Skin grease, sweat, soaps, and creams deteriorate their appearance.
- Wear rings and chains last before going outdoors.
- Cook food in your favorite jewelry;
- Let the sun's rays shine on them. Some stones may burn out in the sun;
- Leave or store your jewelry in the bathroom. High humidity can cause stains on gold and silver;
- Apply any ointment or medication when wearing your favorite rings and earrings.
If you want to enjoy the luxurious shine of your gold treasures, be careful with them. Your favorite gold ring will become noticeably duller if you wear it for a long time without taking it off. Gold is a soft metal, and micro-scratches from mechanical damage, sand and dirt damage its polished surface. As a result, the ring will become dull and look old and worn.
Gold Cleaning Recipe
- Pour warm water into a glass and add liquid soap (preferably soap without additives or dyes).
- Place the gold jewelry in the water for 30 minutes
Scrub away dirt and plaque with a soft toothbrush and rinse over a sieve to prevent the ring from slipping out of your hands.
- Add 1 tsp. ammonia and 1 tsp. shampoo to a glass of warm water, mix well.
- Dip the jewelry in the solution and let it soak for about 10 minutes.
- If they are intricately designed or inlaid with stones, brush them with a soft brush. Rinse the rings, necklace and earrings liberally in a sieve.
- Dry with a flannel or microfiber cloth.
- Wear it with pleasure.
How to clean Silver jewelry
The brilliance of silver is like the cold radiance of the moon. You don't want to lose it, do you? Silver tends to darken over time, with a patina that hides its luster. But it's easy to fix. We will tell you how to clean the silver jewelry at home.
Methods to remove tarnish from Silver:
- Prepare a solution: add one sachet of citric acid (the juice of one lemon) or 100 ml of vinegar to 500 ml of water. Stir.
- Place your silverware in the acidified liquid.
- Wait for one to two hours, and then remove the silver.
- Rinse with water and wipe with a dry cloth.
Another effective way is to clean the silver with baking soda
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to hot water and put a piece of aluminum foil in the water.
- Leave the jewelry in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse it well under the tap.
- Wipe it with a dry, lint-free cloth.
But remember, do not clean silver with dry baking soda, as it will leave tiny scratches on the surface and cause the item to lose its luster.
Cleaning Oxidized Silver Jewelry
It is not always necessary to remove dark colors from silver jewelry. Sometimes it's the result of the jeweler's artwork - the patterns and designs are applied in this way. That's why You should clean such jewelry with care.
- Prepare a solution of soap and baking soda.
- Soak the silver for half an hour.
- Gently brush it with a toothbrush, taking care not to put pressure on it.
- Wipe it dry
How to clean rhodium-plated silver
Rhodium-plated silver jewelry is exceptionally bright, smooth, and has a distinctive steely sheen. Do not use abrasives or acids to avoid rubbing or damaging the plating.You can clean such rings and earrings with a soapy solution.
- Do not leave the gemstones in the sunlight for long. They burn out and deteriorate when exposed to ultraviolet light.
- Also, do not let cosmetics, perfume, or medicine come in contact with the stone, as their chemical makeup can damage them and make them dull and fragile later on.
- Never leave your jewelry near heaters. The sudden temperature change often causes the stones to break.
- Keeping your jewelry in a box with separate compartments makes it beautiful and prolongs its life. Frequently, the stones will get faint cracks and scratches when kept in the same pile as other jewelry.
When taking your jewelry off, the best thing to do is to wipe it with a cloth every night to keep it looking great for a long time.
Cleaning Organic Gems
Gemstones of organic origin must be cared for more thoroughly. Stones such as turquoise, opals, and other stones of organic origin: pearls, amber, mother-of-pearl, coral, and ammonites, can not be cleaned with abrasives, alkalis, and acids. You must not apply all recipes with vinegar, baking soda, detergent, and ammonia to organic stones.
Precious organic stones can only be cleaned by soaking them in warm water and mild liquid soap. Let them sit and rinse under running water, brushing lightly with a soft brush.
Cleaning Inorganic gems
Inorganic gemstones are naturally occurring minerals and rocks such as Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Alexandrite, Amethyst, Jade, and others. The most beautiful, vivid and precious.
The safest way to clean colored stones is to use warm water and mild dishwashing detergent. If you have more time, a solution of 1 tsp. of sea salt and warm water also helps. You need to soak the ornament in it for 12 hours.
Diamond Jewelry Cleaning & Care
It's impossible to take your eyes off their brilliance, everyone wants to own them, and their value never fades, but only grows... Diamonds are not only stunning stones but also an investment that should be taken care of, properly stored, and cleaned.Here are a few tips on how to take care of them:
- Diamonds should be put away in a soft-walled jewelry box because, despite their durability, they can get micro-scratches, which will negatively affect their condition.
- Take off your jewelry when you go home, to the gym or to the pool. Give them a rest.
- Make sure cosmetics and perfume are not left on the jewelry.
- From time to time, take diamond rings and earrings to a jeweler. Have it checked by a jeweler to ensure it is set, and once a year it should be professionally cleaned.
You can periodically wash your treasures at home in a soapy solution, which will maintain the beauty of the stones for a long time.
Another way to bring the diamond facets back to shine is a vinegar solution.
The recipe is as follows:
- Mix one part warm water with one part vinegar;
- Soak the diamond in this solution for half an hour;
- Rinse under running water;
- Wipe with a soft cloth.
Everything you love needs care. You love your beautiful fine jewelry, take care and clean it. For such care and diligence, they will give you back the brightest shine.